Monday, August 7, 2017

This is the Lord's work, and His vision is just so much bigger than ours.

Dearest familia y amigos y queridos, 

This week was significantly better than last week. Not perfect, and we didn't teach as many lessons, but we had 7 investigators at church on Sunday and that just makes my week. Last week of my companion's training, in which i just say all the time "I'm the new missionary and youre my trainer" and when she asks me questions that i know she knows the answer to, i just say "i don't know." shes not a fan of this new tactic, but i am enjoying it :) 

To start this letter of with the highlight of my week:
On Sunday I was sitting up at the keyboard as usual, looking out at the congregation, and seeing so many faces that I know and love. As a missionary, I have the privilege of knowing people personally, their struggles and dreams and desires. I have been in this ward long enough to know basically everyone. I saw the work of literally hundreds of missionaries over the last 30 years here in Ambato, Ecuador. I can't describe everything I feel for all of these people, but I am so grateful that the Lord let me be just a small part of His work in these people's lives. If I have touched just a few souls, helped just a few members on their way, then every effort of the past 9 months has been worth every minute. 

Last week we learned how to make buñuelos, colombian and ecuatorian, so you can be sure i will make them for you guys when i get home! if you dont know what they are, google it, you can probably find something :) 

Umm....yeah what else? Cristobal is doing so great. He follows us around everywhere in the church on sunday. he knows cambios are coming and hes not too happy about it. he likes to tell me that i should just stay in ambato for my whole mission, or just move here and not leave. its adorable. 

We have another investigator named Cristobal, who is also single and without children, also understands slowly, and came to church after only contacting him in the street. (... that NEVER happens) he has already come 3 times to church and we are teaching him the most frequently that we can so he can be prepared for his baptism on the 19th! he is amazing! he prays that nothing will take him away from this path, is already sharing the gospel, and asked us who he has to ask for permission if theres a time when he can't come to church. Um, ask God? haha it was really cute. Another one of those times where I feel like I am not doing anything as a missionary, the Lord does EVERYTHING and we just happen to be present for the baptisms! (well in this case I won't be present in the baptism, but that's irrelevant, this is the Lord's work, not mine!) Seriously, as much as we stress about being perfect missionaries and everything, this is the Lord's work, and His vision is just so much bigger than ours. 

We had a zone conference this week where we talked about spiritual power. I have been pondering conversion so much lately, too. DyC 50:24 talks about receiving light AND continuing in God to receive more light. It's like hearing the Spirit AND acting. It made me think about all the things that sometimes we get lazy and do half way. how many times do we... 

fast, but only until after church? 
read, but dont study
pray, but dont listen for answers 
pay tithing, but not fast offerings
go to the temple, but without family names 

the list could go on and on. It's when we recieve light AND continue in God that our testimony becomes conversion. Don't just listen to the Spirit. Act on the promptings you receive. 

Thats about all my time for this week. Who knows where I will be or who I will be with next week? I don't know, but I will submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord. I really really miss the temple, more than I can express, so everyone reading this, go to the temple. If you can't go to the temple, decide today when you will go back and work to get there. There is nowhere in the world where you will feel more peace. 

lots of love, 

hna hasleton

No comments:

Post a Comment