Monday, July 24, 2017

This week was ..... i dunno, awesome? hard? amazing?

Mis queridos hermanas y hermanos, y padres, y abuelos, y tios y primos y amigos y cualquiera otra persona que este leyendo, 

This week was ..... i dunno, awesome? hard? amazing? Sometimes I feel like I am trying in vain to describe what my experiences are actually like. Yes, I can tell you funny things that happen like how I feel about the cat calls and the unwanted attention, but how do I tell you about the things that actually mean something? Still not sure, but I will keep trying! 

This week we found an investigator who I was teaching awhile back, but who moved to Quito Norte. But she came back! We are teaching her again and I am so excited. Her name is Gabi and she is super smart and super prepared. Her uncle and cousins live in Utah and are members. Anyway. She didn't come to church but I don't let that stop me! Does anybody actually come to church after only one week of teaching them? Well she did the last time but hey she is going to get baptized someday! Might not be while I am here but that doesn't matter at all! 

This cute hermana who I think is in her early 60s came with us for a few hours this week. Her name is Hermana Bravo. She and her husband, her daughter, and her granddaughter got baptized almost 2 years ago. They are sealed in the temple and seriously are just the cutest couple. She had a dream about me and was so excited to tell me. Her husband makes shoes. Definitely on my list of people I want you guys to meet when you come get me! 

We are teaching a family right now that just moved here from a different ward in Ambato. The hermano is 27 and a member, his wife is late thirties or early forties and an investigator. not the first time I have seen this exact situation, and I still don't understand it, but it is what it is! And those elders that have been teaching her for almost a year lost her registro so even though she has all the lessons, we have to teach everything again! Actually was really peeved with those elders. cmon, do you have to act like teenage boys? I know you are, but really. Anyway, the family is amazing and are actually considering getting married in august so we have to hurry and teach so she can get baptized after! 

On Friday, we had a multizone conference because our new presidente is here! Presidente Barlow. It was an amazing conference, basically just to get to know him and his family. His wife doesn't speak any spanish, and their two youngest kids dont either. They have a 16 yr old daughter and a 14 yr old son. It's an adventure and a sacrifice for sure for those kids to leave everything and move to Ecuador. I had to play the piano in the conference, and also I had to lead the choir. We sang 2 verses of joseph smiths first prayer in spanish and 2 verses of come thou fount, all to the tune of come thou fount. Directing a choir with half your choir tone deaf or not speaking spanish well or not speaking english at all makes it a fun experience! It turned out well though :) afterwards I got to have an interview with Presidente. I know that there are lots of reasons for why mission presidents are assigned to where they are, but I honestly feel like he was assigned here just for me. I know I will learn so much from him and his family in the coming months of my mission. 

The ward asked us to help with a mutual activity for the young men and women. On saturday morning we took the youth out with us to contact people in the streets. The elders did divisions and were lots more effective. As for us.... thats asking quite a bit of my still new companion, so we stayed together and took small groups of young women out in turns. It was an interesting experience. Afterwards they asked us to share testimonies with the group of why we served missions and why it would help them. You know, I have never ever been one to tell girls that they should serve missions. I always HATED being told that. With a passion. But there I was, telling those youth that well, for the boys it is a priesthood duty, and for the girls, everyone has the responsability to ask the Lord if He wants them to serve. There is no place in the world I would rather be and I wouldn't change this experience for anything, not even for a week at the beach with grandma and grandpa! I mean, I would love to be there, but there is time for that when I get home. 

This week I was reading the words to More Holiness Give Me on a long bus ride to Quillan Loma, and I realized that everything in that song I have improved while on my mission. I still have lots to learn and lots to improve, like meekness in trial, for starters, but I am learning. Dad has always told me that I need to learn to have patience for people's faults. Well, this week I realized that that doesn't mean that I need to patiently help them correct their faults. It means that I need to love them in spite of their faults, no matter their imperfections, because thats what the Savior does. Sometimes I get frustrated because I feel like I am supposed to be teaching people to fish but they just aren't learning. I am not teaching correctly, or they don't want to learn, something is wrong. But the important thing is that I keep trying to teach and don't settle for just giving them fish after fish. I am doing the very best I can. The Lord enables me to do that, and He also makes up for many times a day that I fail. 

This week we are going to Quito again, and also we will have divisiones with the hermanas lideres, which i am looking forward to quite a bit. 

Anyway, have fun, friends and family, in California, switzerland, lake powell, the grand canyon, and whereever else yall are traveling this week! My challenge this week is to read Alma 42 and put your own name in when it says my son. Que tengan una buena semana! 

hermana hasleton

No comments:

Post a Comment